Wednesday, March 18, 2015

banana, chia seed, cashew butter and cocoa smoothie

banana, chia seed, cashew butter and cocoa smoothie banana, chia seed, cashew butter and cocoa smoothie

The alternative title for this post was 'the only smoothie recipe you'll ever need' , because really, I sing it's praises that highly. I've made it three times now, and I love it more each time. I originally got it from the Meridian nut butter website, but I've lost the exact link (I'm sure you can find it somewhere), but I have adapted it a wee bit to suit me.
For me, this is the perfect post-run, post-workout drink. Sometimes I just have it for breakfast if I'm feeling really indulgent at the weekends, and it tastes amazing, plus it's packed with lots of protein and other goodies, so it doesn't feel quite as bad as downing a giant bottle of chocolate milkshake....
INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder;
- 1 tbsp chia seeds;
- 2 ripe bananas;
- 1 tbsp cashew nut butter;
- 1 cup (250ml-ish) of milk of your choice;
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs*;
- 1 tbsp protein powder**.
 
1. Theres not much method to a smoothie (you basically just chuck it all in) but I recommend whizzing together the cacoa nibs (if you're using them) and chia seeds together first, to get them a bit finer, because they do make your smoothie a bit chunky. 
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, and blend until smooth. 
*I consider these optional, because they're kind of hard to find. I had to get them from Holland and Barrett, and they're not cheap for a giant bag, so just to warn you. Also, I'm not sure they add a great deal. I like to leave them kind of chunky, and they make the smoothie a bit more like a pudding, because you have to chew them. But basically, they're not essential. This will still taste good without. 
**I also consider protein powder a waste of time, unless you're a serious body builder or whatever, I don't see the point of it, and I think it tastes awful! haha
Let me know if you try this! I really think it's so good, I'm on a mission to convert everyone to it...

3 comments:

  1. This sounds gorgeous! Deffo might give it a shot!
    Becca
    www.QueenBeeBecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been an advocate of green smoothies because somewhere in my head they are healthier for you, but this sounds so good I can't not give it a go!
    I've got an un-opened jar of cashew butter in the cupboard waiting to be used too ;)
    Chloe x
    snugcorner.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - I love smoothies and chia seeds are such a powerhouse addition! Avocado is also yum addition and something i am slightly addicted too....:)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2