Monday, August 24, 2015

RHS Wisley in the Springtime - pt. 2

Way back in April, I visited RHS Wisley with my mum for a little afternoon out - have a look at my previous post here - but we only live about 20 minutes up the M3 from it, so I was appalled that it took me so long to get around to visiting again! Especially since I found out they had a gorgeous glasshouse (you know I love a glasshouse), which is what this post will feature heavily...

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

The glasshouse is a fairly recent addition and opened in 2012 (Wisley house and gardens were given to the RHS in 1903), with three sections; you can read about the glasshouse at Wisley here, but it really is fantastic. With it's tropical section, filled with giant palms, hanging orchids, and all the ferns a girl could wish for, I could happily spend hours in there. I loved the arid glasshouse too, filled with beautiful cacti and scented flowers, when I visited.

Keep reading for the orchids...!

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

After the tropical greenhouse, you move through into the arid section of the glasshouse, with amazing giant cacti, succulents and aloe's. I am fascinated by them, but it was unbelievably bright this day, so they were all washed out which makes me quite sad, because I do love a an aloe vera...

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

I am a little bit in love with Orchids, though. There is a short-story by Ballard about these singing plants (
Prima Belladonna) which I love, and I am fairly certain these are supposed to be orchid-like plants, they look like they're poised to attack at any time... I wish I could raise them, though - my friend got me a pink one for my birthday, and it's not very happy at the moment...


RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2