Wednesday, August 19, 2015

RHS Wisley in the Springtime - pt. 1

Way back in April, I visited RHS Wisley with my mum for a little afternoon out. Having been several times when I was a little kid, I really couldn't remember it too well, so we decided to refresh my memory.  We only live about 20 minutes up the M3 from it, so I was appalled that it took me so long to get around to visiting, especially since I found out they had a gorgeous glasshouse (you know I love a glasshouse).  
I know that I'm a bit out of season with these pictures - but I had so many to resize and edit, because everything there was so beautiful, that I just hadn't had the time to get around it, and it seemed like such a daunting task - so now I have finally got around to it, I think I'll have to split it into a couple of posts...! 

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

I particularly loved walking around the initial gardens when you come in, in the spring these are full of magnolia trees, cherry blossoms and acers, all sorts of brightly coloured spring flowers to admire as you walk through to the glass house, which really had my heart.
This pink tree is my absolute favourite - I'm determined to get one for my dad for his garden: it's something like a chinese cedar/mahogany, but the name is 'Flamingo' - which is the most perfect pink with white trunks.

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

Keep reading to see the bonsai trees...!


RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

In the spring, I highly recommend visiting, with all the little snowdrops and manicured gardens to visit, as well as walking around the main house, and stopping in the cafe, it's a good way to spend a warm spring afternoon.

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

There are also the the 'test beds' which are really cool, but were full of people taking photos so I didn't get any - but they have rows and rows of the same flower (this time, tulips) to check them for consistency. They were a neat-freaks dream.

However, I was absolutely obsessed with the bonsai trees, I think they're really amazing, some of them that they have there are over sixty years old - and one of them looked like a mini weirwood tree, a tiny miniature acer with a white trunk. They even had little moss-like plants growing like saplings in the planters, I was so taken. I had a look in the shop at buying one, but they only had green bonsai's, so I'm on the hunt for a red one for my dad, too, because he would love it...

Stay tuned for part two of my pictures (inside the glasshouse..!) next week, but let me know if you've visited any of the RHS gardens!
I love RHS Rosemoor down in Devon, as we used to visit it as kids on holiday...

Follow

RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley
RHS Wisley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2