Monday, May 04, 2015

cereal magazine + the joy of ruined photos

Generally, I can resist a pretty magazine. I am good at this because I'm a blogger, I think - I know that I can get better content on my favourite blogs, but then sometimes, I'm in a train station in Sheffield and the sun is shining and I'm enticed in by pretty pictures in pretty magazines. That's how I came to pick up Cereal. It's one of those magazine that it's in a similar vein to Kinfolk or Oh Comely - lifestyle centric and stunningly shot.  I devoured it on a hot train home, and I can't bare to part with it, the pictures are so pretty.

cereal magazine
old photos

But when I did arrive home, my mother had been sorting through great crates of photographs and pictures and postcards and all sorts of wonderful little things from her youth, from my youth, from my grandmothers youth. Whilst I love beautifully shot magazines, my heart will have a soft spot for a bad photo.

Over exposed, underexposed, light leaked, or poorly framed - I love a ruined photo. There's something heartwarming about a half recognised face lit by angry red film. I also love just the weird photos that someone took, particularly in film, of a strange building, an odd bit of flooring: something someone chose to capture, because for that instant it was important, but the reasoning has been lost.

This might not make sense to some, but I'm a fan of the extremes of photos, from the beautifully, impeccably shot lifestyle editorials, to the snapshots of long gone family, ruined by a poor photographer. I can't bear to part with any of them; I'm a hoarder.

old photos
cereal magazine

7 comments:

  1. Ruined photos give so much more depth and effect to a photo! My nan forever ruined all her film cameras and they still looked so cool x

    Love Vicki | victoriajanex.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have something magical about them for sure. I wonder how many films my mum ruined in her teens. Would love to read your tips on how to enjoy the sun and stay safe under my newest post here: http://www.igaberry.com/2015/05/stay-healthy-and-safe-in-the-sun.html Have a lovely day, Iga x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep resisting the urge to buy Cereal as I can't really afford to start another magazine addiction but it does look so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the thing I love the most about film photography- the moment is captured as it was...flaws and all. There's so much personality that comes with film!

    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that so true - I love the little quirks that come with taking film photos, I need to get back into taking more of them!


    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it really is a pretty magazine! However it doesn't come cheap, and I already have quiet a few mags that I pick up on a regular basis...! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents were throwing away a lot of old 'ruined' photos - and I rescued a lot of them, there is something quite special about them :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2