Saturday, May 16, 2015

as close to clean as it gets: raw vegan chocolate bars

I've discovered my new favourite treats, and they're these delicious little bars. They feel like a cross between a flapjack, tiffin or caramel shortbread - but they're nowhere near as decadent as that! 

sugar free clean eating treats

For more pictures and the recipe, keep reading;
sugar free clean eating treats 
INGREDIENTS:
For base:
- 100g ground almonds;
- 100g rolled oats;
- 100g dried pitted dates, finely chopped (I use the kind that comes in a block);
- 3tbsp coconut oil;
- 2tbsp raw honey;
- Salt
For chocolate topping:
- 100g coconut oil*;
- 80g cocoa powder;
- 1tsp vanilla extract;
- 2tbsp raw honey (or to taste);
- Salt.
1. Line a small lipped tray with a sheet of baking parchment (size of tray will vary the thickness of your bars).
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground almonds, oats, finely chopped dates and a good pinch of salt.  If necessary, melt your coconut oil, then add it to the bowl, along with the honey, and stir until everything is well combined.
3. Press mixture into an even layer in the tray, pushing into the corners, and refrigerate.
4. Melt the coconut oil, and whisk in the cocoa powder until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the vanilla and the honey until the honey has dissolved, and add a good pinch of sea salt. At this point the recipe says to taste the mixture, however I found it way too bitter for my liking, so I double the amount of honey called for at least).
5. Pour the chocolate mixture over the base, and make sure there is an even layer.
6. Transfer to freezer to set for 10-15 minutes.
7. Cut into bars when ready, and store in the fridge or freezer (as anything warmer will melt the coconut oil!)
Recipe found at greatbritishchefs.com.
* I've taken this recipe from a website, but WHY there is a discrepancy is measures for the coconut oil but I followed it an it works fine haha.
As you can see, these make a great dessert, particularly with ice-cream or strawberries or what have you - they're good to take to work too, but make sure you put them in the fridge, as when I forgot to do this, they had all melted in my handbag... oops!

Have you got a favourite treat you go for when you need that chocolate fix?!
recipes -



sugar free clean eating treats

9 comments:

  1. Yum these sound delicious! And healthy too is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm definitely going to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, these look amazing! Love how simple they are to make, too.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks lovely - I've recently discovered your blog and it's absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the comment and for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They aren't bad, but you'll have to take my word for it! haha x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always helps, that way you can eat a lot more.. ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! So glad you think so :) x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2