Friday, December 26, 2014

boxing day breakfast or brunch: drop scone pancake recipe


Well hello everyone! I hope you all had a lovely Christmas Day and are gearing up for 2015 nicely. I thought I'd show you all a somewhat indulgent idea for a breakfast on a chilly Boxing Day morning.. 

A drop-scone (or an american style pancake, if you like) is one of my favourite things to make. They're so quick, so easy, and so amazingly tasty. They're a thousand times better than the ones you buy pre-cooked, and the batter only takes minutes to whip up. They'd be an amazing thing to pull together for a New Year's Day breakfast (er, brunch?) if you're all feeling a little fragile, and unlike croissants, require minimal effort. The hardest part is basically wondering how many you can scoff down before anyone notices.. 
INGREDIENTS:
(makes about ten-twelve decently sized pancakes)
- 125g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 25g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 25g melted butter
- 100ml milk

1. Sift flour into a bowl, and yes, this is a rare recipe when I actually sift it. Generally I can't be bothered, but no-one wants a lumpy pancake. Stir in the salt and sugar.
2. Make a well in the middle of the flour, and add the eggs. Pour in a little of the milk and begin to beat.
3. Gradually add in the rest of the milk until the batter has a smooth consistency and drops drop from the spoon.
4. Place butter in a microwabable bowl and heat until melted. When batter is ready to be cooked, add the melted butter and stir in.
5. Heat a frying pan until a bit hotter than a medium heat and add something to stop pancakes sticking (I usually use sunflower oil, but just a little.)
6. Using a tablespoon or an ice-cream scoop, spoon the batter into the frying pan and cook.
7. When the pancakes are beginning to bubble, and have gone solid around the edges, flip the pancake over and cook until golden brown.
8. If using a small pan and making several batches of pancakes, keep a plate warm in the oven with the pancakes on. Serve immediately and eat hot with lots of butter, golden syrup, blueberries, nutella....

Recipe adapted from one by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

10 comments:

  1. Those look amazing - I may have to try them when I stop eating my parents' food.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why stop at breakfast and brunch when you could have these for lunch and dinner as well? hahah. I would love to top mine with blueberries, strawberries, bananas, and almond slices! Wishing you the happiest of holidays! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks delicious! Could eat them right of the picture. Thanks for sharing! xx

    lifeofannas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wondered what a drop-scone was, we go by pancake or pikelet in Australia. These look perfectly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I love American style pancakes for brunch, especially with lots of maple syrup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love really thick, fluffy pancakes like the American style ones at any time of the day! I can't wait for pancake day coming up though, I love the thin kind, too! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah my mum sometimes called the pikelet's, I grew up calling them pancakes or drop-scones, and I trust you they really are delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking back at these pictures makes me crave them! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really could eat them all day! Haha, hope you had a lovely holiday period & new year, sorry for the delay in replying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, I would definitely recommend them! Thanks for stopping by (:

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2