Wednesday, October 29, 2014

something wicked this way comes: on halloween and witches


As it is Halloween on Friday I thought I'd talk about my fascination with witches... I've been intrigued by witches and witchcraft for as long as I can remember, avidly consuming books about witches, television shows (from the good to the awful) and films. I had little journals where I would write down spells, and collected crystals, incense and candles that I thought were particularly special, me and my friend would get together and talk about whether we thought they worked or not. I dressed up as witches at least three years in a row for book-day at school (Mildred from the Worst Witch, Hermione from Harry Potter and the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia): essentially, I devoured as much as I could about witches, my mother would have to supply me endlessly with books because I would read them so fast. Maybe it was growing up with a Catholic influence, but it always felt a little bit illicit to be reading about witches and magic.


I've hidden this obsession well as I've grown up, but every time Halloween rolls around, I find myself returning to those stories, shows and cinema and thinking how fucking cool it would be if it were all real. For 10 months of the year I am generally grounded in reality, but in September, when the air begin to cool, I let my solid footing slip.

Maybe it's the change in the seasons, I have always had romantic notions about nature, and the hidden Pagan inside of me wants to make wicker effigies at harvest. I begin to pay close attention to the cycles of the moon, and wish it was acceptable to wander barefoot over the local common, lighting bonfires and wearing a black cape. I fear it wouldn't go down too well, where I live.



For now, I'll collect crystals, and stones with perfect circles inside, dried herbs and sticks and feathers, pretending that I have my own little tree-stump altar and a circle made from branches..

(Images taken from Pinterest, photo credits where possible are provided on Pinterest.)

2 comments:

  1. Haha, oh man, you are going to love the post I'm sharing on Friday. I actually grew up with a Pagan mom and am a practicing (although a bit of a slacker) witch. I think there's a bit of a fascination with witchcraft right now, partly linked to the rise of neo-paganism and wicca. It's pretty interesting stuff.


    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I loved your post! I'm genuinely really fascinated by Paganism, I've been interested in ideas about buddhism for a while now, and it's definitely something I could see myself pursuing. x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2