Sunday, January 01, 2012

it's a new dawn, it's a new day

For New Years Eve I went to my friend Debbie's uni-house - it was a really good night, very relaxed and chilled, a good evening all in all. I drove with my friend Lauren, who brought some photos of us three from her 12th birthday party - which will never see the light of day - but I definitely didn't think we'd been friends with each other for that long! I'm really glad we have been, but what is that, like 11 years of friendship? Insane, haha. On the drive down to her house, we were talking about these pictures, how long we've known each other and how old we are - we will both turn twenty-two in 2012... we don't want to get any older! This is the first year of my life where I've actually felt happy in myself, I feel like I've learnt and grown up a hell of lot, I've coped better, moved on, felt confident for the first time in my life.. A lot of generally good things. I'm happy about this, and I want to continue this in 2012!
So I've made a list of things I want to achieve to continue this streak. These are not resolutions, these are goals to keep me happy..!

Read for pleasure.
I feel like I don't do this anymore, because I have to do so much reading for university! I know I have my dissertation coming up this year, so this isn't likely going to happen, but it's something I enjoy and I miss doing.

Be more sensible with money.
I'm getting better with this, but I want to make sure I don't fritter my money away on "affordable, fast fashion" and other silly things. 

Be more adventurous with food, culture, my work. 
And learn to cook better.. I make the same few dishes over and over - and my brother is always telling me my taste is awful. It's gotten better in the last few years, but I still don't have that much variety in my meals. I stick to what I know in my art practice, and although I enjoy this, I need to be more outgoing.

Be healthier.
This isn't a "lose weight, go to the gym" goal, because that won't happen! It's just a make-better-choices goal. Like, choose to walk more, choose healthier options. This is in every area of my life - like take better care of my teeth and sort out my dodgy knee, haha. 

Visit Tam and see friends that have moved away more frequently.
Tam is a lovely friend that lives in San Francisco.. I want to go see her! I've only gone to visit Debbie a handful of times, have never visited Lauren at uni, and only been to see Rachel once. I'm a bad friend, and need to correct this!

Keep my journal regularly.
I used to obsessively keep a journal - then as part of my degree course, I have to keep a "reflective journal" and so my personal journal came to a halt. I enjoy doing this and it gives me somewhere to think, privately. I need that.

Continue the good, forget the bad, be happy.
In terms of my depression, I've had an amazing year. I've only experienced a couple of bad patches. I put this mostly down to weeding out the bad people in my life. You know the kind! I've had a good time since, and I like that!
I hope you all have a very happy, successful 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2