Tuesday, July 07, 2015

ode to an english summer

In the winter I have visions of an English summer, of prancing around in sun-dresses and Birkenstocks, drinking Pimms, and tossing my hair back without a care in the world. But the reality is a humidity that makes you look like lion, hippy sandals that rub, being so sweaty on the train it should be illegal, and I forget that I don't even like Pimms. It's like a crappier sangria.

english summer
english summer
english summer
english summer

Sometimes the humidity will break, though, and you get those really excellent, snatched summer moments, when you can smell flowers in the evening and listen to the red kites calling above, whilst drinking chilled white wine in the garden and you feel all pleasantly tired from a long walk somewhere, and the tops of your shoulders and your nose are just a bit too pink but you know it will fade to a soft brown, taking the edge off your year round paleness.

This is how I spent Saturday afternoon - the garden table broke so I just stretched out on the lawn with a bowl of sushi to pick at - my favourite magazine and a glass of iced tea (which turned into white wine as the sun set). The rose-bush in my parents garden is in full swing - I'm trying to persuade my dad he needs a peony bush - it began to feel like a good English summer, not a smidgen of humidity could be felt.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like one of the best summer days ever? I know how I want to spend my weekend now (providing the sun stays out!) I love Pimms - I need one now, even though you don't like it LOL!
    Bee | QueenBeady.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like bliss! Beautiful photos of your garden, I love the roses and the clock - so pretty! I love The Simple Things magazines too - even just looking at the cover makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina Lyngsø7 July 2015 at 14:36

    Sounds amazing! I laughed a lot of your humidity comment - With curly hair I know all about humidity and what it does to your hair! :)

    Kristina // www.kristinalyngsoe.dk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the train can be veryyyy sweaty and uncomfortable haha... but English summers are so beautiful! I love how it stays light until so late, so you can sit on the patio chatting to your family until it's finally dark :) lovely post! x

    Polly Cat Contemplates

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like the perfect afternoon! It's true that British summers aren't very reliable, but when they're good, they're pretty wonderful.


    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect afternoon! Love your photography xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely photos!

    http://lifeastajaljeh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2