Wednesday, April 01, 2015

sugar-free banana bread recipe

I was recently talking to some bloggers about authenticity in blogging - and to cut a long story short, the way I would describe it is this; some bloggers tell you that they make a recipe, following it to the letter. They sieve the flour, let the eggs sit at room temperature over night, they use the five or six different bowls required, weigh everything to the the .99th of a gram, and never lick the spoon. I am not one of those bloggers. I admit to you, freely, that I never sieve my flour, create as little cleaning up as possible, and always lick the spoon (and before you start on about raw eggs, just pipe down). Basically, I know baking is a science, blah blah blah, but my mother was a chemist, and this is how she raised me. Mother knows best, and all.

This is all rather a long tangent, but I thought you'd like that little analogy, and I thought I would show you my most recent favourite 'throw it all in and shove it in the oven', recipe. Sugar-free banana bread! Banana-anything is my vice, I've heard tell of people that exist that don't like bananas, and I wonder how do you live? What do you put in smoothies? How do you fuel yourself before a run? What do you smother with cream and chocolate sauce and place on a waffle and tell yourself it is healthy because it has fruit in? I'm going off on a tangent again, aren't I? Onto the recipe.

sugar free banana bread with wholemeal flour
sugar free banana bread with wholemeal flour
INGREDIENTS:
- 125g self-raising wholemeal flour;
- 1/2 tsp baking powder,
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon;
- 75g sultanas;
- 50g butter, melted;
- 2 tsp vanilla essence;
- 1 egg;
- 1 tbsp milk;
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed.

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas mark 4. Grease and line a small tin with baking parchment.
2. In a large, microwavable bowl, melt your butter in the microwave. Add the vanilla essence, egg, milk and mashed banana.  Mix until everything is mixed together well.
3. Add in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon) and sultanas and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Pour into the lined cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin and then turn out.

Adapted from this BBC Good Food recipe for banana cake (adapted in that their recipe was incredibly badly worded!).
A few notes about this little recipe, it only makes a small amount, but the cake itself is quite a dense one, so I find that I don't get through it very quickly, so don't be fooled into doubling the recipe (like I did once!) unless you've got a lot of people coming over. Obviously, you can also forgo the sultanas if you don't like them, but I place you people in the same category as those that don't like bananas: mad.
I find it's at it's peak when eaten warm from the oven with a bit of butter, or toasted for breakfast with a glass of milk. The brown flour takes some getting used to, but it leaves me feeling full and without that awkward bloated feeling that I get from eating white flour, so I'm pleased with that, too.
Essentially, this cake is really good I'm really pleased to have found this recipe, and its going in my repertoire for future use!

sugar free banana bread with wholemeal flour

14 comments:

  1. Haha I'm the same, don't think I've ever sieved flour! I'm definitely more of a cook than a baker, so much prefer just throwing things in rather than trying to measure lots of bits and bobs. This looks really good though! I really like banana bread and I'm trying really hard to cut down on sugar so this is ideal :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your way of baking sounds brilliant to me. I'm a chuck it all in one bowl kind of baker too - I rarely sieve flour and don't weigh things very carefully either. Sometimes it's more fun winging it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious, like you banana flavoured anything is my favourite! Banana ice cream is my current vice, it's just really not great for me... Might have to give this recipe a try :)


    www.bethanlikes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this looks yummy, wholemeal flour and no sugar?!! Sold. Going to try this out this week, I think. And I always lick the spoon, living on the edge is just our way of life, clearly. (I only sieve flour if it is absolutely 100% necessary for a recipe. Too much faffing otherwise!)

    little miss fii || Fii x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous! I've been cutting down on sugar, and banana bread is one of my favourites - i'll definitely have to give this a try.

    Antonia x | Fifi and the Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, this looks so good! I am always down for good (and moisty!) banana bread, sugar free is even better!:)

    Oly | TLV Birdie Blog

    http://tlvbirdie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. I love banana bread but haven't been able to find a recipe which omits sugar until now, and I gave up sugar for Lent. So will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried giving up sugar - got about two weeks in! I lost a few pounds though, so I keep meaning to try it out again! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. You cannot beat a lovely hot slice of banana bread, right?! Glad you enjoyed!


    Uncia + Tigris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to quit sugar completely, now I'm just working on eating less refined sugar and white carbs, avoiding them where possible - so I love this recipe! Let me know if you try it :)

    Uncia + Tigris

    ReplyDelete
  11. It feels totally indulgent without all the bad stuff in! And I'm so glad you agree about baking! Haha I will only sieve flour if it's CRUCIAL haha. <3

    Uncia + Tigris

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always forget there are people that don't like banana - I'm like but how do you function? Haha, banana in everything, please. Let me know if you try it!

    Uncia + Tigris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad there are people that agree with me - I can't be bothered getting 6 different bowls dirty just to make a victoria sponge, it go by what recipes feel like and consistencies as opposed to weights, it feels right!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, see, I can't cook at all! I can just about throw together a mean stir fry, and that's the extent of it. Baking though is right up my street!
    Let me know if you try it out! (:

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2