Monday, February 23, 2015

the perfect breakfast: chia seed and peach jam porridge





A few months ago, I shared with you my recent affection for porridge, and how to make it really quickly. My affection is unwavering, especially since discovering this somewhat decadent breakfast that I can't help but wanting every morning. It's perfect for cold and crisp weekdays, the peach jam cutting perfectly through the milky porridge, warming you well and filling you up until lunch. I've also discovered the magic that are chia seeds - full of protein and omega 3's, they're great soaked in milk or water, and get a really weird, jelly-like texture to them.
INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup porridge
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon of chia seeds, with enough milk or water to cover them.
- 1 tablespoon of peach jam
1. Measure out 1/2 cup porridge, and 1 cup semi-skimmed milk, in a microwaveable bowl. You don't have to use cup measurements, it's the ratio that is important here.
2. At this stage, measure out your chia seeds and cover them with milk or water (I normally do this in the cup I measure the porridge and milk out in). Stir to make sure all the chia seeds are covered in liquid and set aside.
3. Microwave the bowl of porridge and milk on full power for 1.5 minutes, then take out and stir well.
4. Microwave the porridge for a further 3.5 minutes, taking out and stirring well every 30 seconds, taking care not to let it boil over, the stirring is very important here.
5. When the porridge is thick and creamy, take it out and stir the chia seed mixture into the porridge, or just place on top.
6. Add jam to taste, and eat!

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried chia seeds! I really should but they look so odd that I feel as though I will just screw them up. Putting jam in porridge is a genius idea though, make it that bit sweeter which is always ideal for me! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I've heard speak of these Chia seeds (but you had me at peach jam!)
    Love this as a slightly different way of enjoying porridge.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative Countryside24 February 2015 at 19:45

    I've just discovered chia seeds and love them too! Porridge is the best :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2