Wednesday, October 22, 2014

the almost perfect cinnamon bun + recipe


The other week I was in the shower, and I cracked open a new bottle of Korres' Vanilla Cinnamon shower gel. Whilst singing along to my music and lathering up, I realised that the smell reminded me exactly of cinnamon buns. So after pottering about for the rest of the day, occasionally stopping to smell my arms because they smelled that good, I decided to just give in and make some cinnamon buns. 
I searched around the internet for a good recipe, and came across this one from the Guardian website. It seemed like a good option, requiring less proving that most recipes, and using ingredients that I nearly all had in at home.
INGREDIENTS:
For the buns:
300ml whole milk (I only had semi-skimmed, and it worked fine)
1tsp ground cardamon seeds (about 25 pods)
50g butter
424g plain flour
7g fast action yeast
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp fine salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
oil, to grease

For the filling:
75g softened butter
50g dark brown sugar (again, I only had light brown, it was fine, a little less treacly)
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

For the icing:
125g icing sugar
1.5 tbsp milk
(note: I did not have any cream cheese, or I would've made cream cheese icing!)

1. Put the milk and ground cardamom seeds in a small sauce-pan and bring to just below the boil. Take off the heat, stir in the butter, and then leave to infuse.
2. Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. When the milk is no longer hot, and is just warm, make a well in the dry ingredients and the egg. Stir the egg in, then pour in the milk through a strainer. Stir until it comes together to make a soft dough that pulls away from the edge of the bowl.
3. Oil your surface well, and your hands, and knead for five minutes. It is a very soft and wet dough, I found, but resist adding more flour. I didn't have a dough scraper, but I recommend using one for this!
4. Wipe out the bowl and oil it lightly, then return the dough to the bowl. Cover, and leave somewhere warm for 30 minutes. (They suggest a cold oven, with a bowl of hot water, but we left hours at the back of the stove-top whilst the oven was on, and that worked well.)
5. Whilst the dough is proving, make the filling by beating all the ingredients together until soft and easily spreadable. (Resist from eating, this mixture tastes so good.)
6. Also whilst waiting, grease a cake tin.
7. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle roughly 35 x 25cm. Spread the  filling mixture evenly across the dough, then roll dough into a sausage shape, starting from the long edge (like you would a swiss roll). Cut into eight even slices.
8. Arrange the slices in a tin, evenly spaced, and leave to prove again for 30 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
So there we go! They're best eaten fresh, obviously, and don't keep amazingly well, and would be much improved with some cream cheese icing and not the sugar icing that I made - but they hit the spot and weren't that hard, despite the multiple proves, etc. Next on my challenge list are croissants and doughnuts...

12 comments:

  1. These look amazing. When I make these I'm definitely going to use cream cheese icing. My favorite. Pinning this post!


    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look utterly mouthwatering. My BFF and ex-roommate used to make the most incredible cinnamon rolls and my 7 housemates and I would all fight over them, haha. There's nothing like those hot rolls fresh from the oven, covered in sticky icing :)


    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow these look sooo yummy! I love cinnamon buns, I've been craving some lately actually so your recipe couldn't have come at a more perfect time :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing and I could adapt the recipe to be dairy free by switching a few ingredients. I may just add these to my Christmas baking list...

    Grace
    http://grownupgrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so scrumptious. my late night cravings are starting so early because of your post


    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can assure you that they were! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I'm sorry to contribute towards that! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, I'm sure you could! you'll have to let me know if you try it! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw, thanks so much! I would definitely do cream cheese, but the shops were shut by the time I was making these! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha oh gosh that sounds amazing! my mum used to make us chelsea buns when we were little, which are kind similar, and my and my brothers used to fight over them when they were warm! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw, well I'm glad I could help! x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2