Monday, June 30, 2014

the secret allotment

my dad watering in the distance
the raspberries that are hidden in the brambles at the end of the plot
sun setting on the wall with the manor just in sight
the flowers on the potato plants

It's not a secret, really, but it makes me feel like I'm in The Secret Garden, which you might know is my absolute favourite film, and my favourite book as a child. The last time I went, I was sat in the long-grass by the side of my dad's plots and there was a deer, just casually eating someones old plants that have been long forgotten, and there are rabbits everywhere and it's in the old, walled, kitchen-garden of a beautiful Victorian chateau-stye manor in the Surrey countryside. It's beyond lovely. Sadly, though, it's old army-land, and the army are trying to sell it on, so we won't have the allotment after the 31st August, which makes me so sad. However, I've been trying to make the most of it this last summer, and if you follow me on Instagram, you'll see so many photos of the things I happen upon, like the abandoned greenhouses and the overgrown walk-way down to the orchard..
I could talk about it for hours, but with a warm week coming up, I know I will be there quite a bit..
Have you tried growing any of your own food? As well as it being really rewarding, I find it it pretty relaxing, too. Also, you know exactly how good your food is, exactly where its been and that it's only travelled the 2 miles from the allotment to my dinner plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2