Wednesday, August 22, 2012

easy portuguese tarts


The other week me and my mum were eating Portuguese tarts in Cafe Nero and we thought that we should be able to make some. Cue us googling recipes on her iPad.. and we found this recipe which is apparently Bill Grangers, but we kind of adapted it to suit us because we were in a bit of a rush! My brother and his girlfriend were coming to stay, and they are big foodies, but my brother really loved them, so I think this is a stamp of approval! Even I liked them, and I usually hate shop-bought custard tarts, because they're too eggy and claggy and weird.
Anyway, check the link, I take no credit for these but I'm going to repost it here! 
3 egg yolks
115g/4oz caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
230ml cream
170ml milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g rolled puff pastry (one block)
1. Put egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a saucepan, whisk together, and add cream and milk until smooth.
2. Over a medium heat, stir until the mixture thickens. Take off the heat and add vanilla extract. Cover and leave to cool whilst you roll out the tarts.
3. Preheat oven to 200c, grease a muffin/cake tray. The link says to use an 80ml but I you need to make sure that they are not too shallow and deep enough to hold the custard. You could put little foil trays in if you have them.
4. Roll half the pastry block out into a rectangle (we sprinkled the sheet of pastry with cinnamon to give a bit of taste) and then roll up tightly to create a log shape, like you would if you were making a swiss roll. Cut the pastry into 1cm-ish rounds. Using a rolling-pin, roll each round out until it's thin and flat, about 10cm in diameter. If this is confusing, see the original link, they have good pictures detailing the procedure! Press the pastry rounds into the tin, and sort of ruffle the edges. (We gave up this method on the second batch and just used a regular pastry cutter on the rolled out pastry. These worked fine, except the pastry around the edge wasn't quite as fluffy/rustic-looking.)
5. Poor custard into pyrex jug or something similar and pour into the pastry cases. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Let them sit in the tin for about 5-10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. 
Whilst I want to say that my photos completely washed these out, they were not that pale in person but I don't think we cooked them quite long enough. they weren't as golden-brown as I would have liked. I would've liked them to caramelise a littttle bit more than they did, but they still tasted amazing! I definitely recommend try these out, and if you don't want to worry about all the faff with the pastry, just use a cutter.
Have you tried something similar? Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2