Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Well.. not anymore.. it's now Tuesday, but we'll ignore that fact (and the fact that I should be in bed but I can't sleep!). Just wanted to say thank-you for all the birthday wishes I got.. and show you the amazing birthday cake my mum made me! It is absolutely unreal...haha.


The outside.. 20 candles, count 'em! You may notice it is quite a tall cake..


And this would be why. Layers of rainbow cake.

My mum makes some pretty awesome cakes and when she asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I jokingly said I wanted a rainbow cake. Then yesterday we spent a good few hours in the kitchen making the layers and perfecting the food colouring.. I love it so much and almost didn't want to eat it. Cutting into it was the best thing ever.
I saw this idea forever ago on
i am baker's blog where she made a green cake, and didn't think it was possible because it's a right pain in the bum to find white cake mix here, but me & my mum made a batch of pale cake mix, and managed to successfully add colours. We also found this recipe really useful, too.


A slice.. (: You will not need second-helpings. Trust me, haha.


For
two layers of cake you'll need:
4oz of butter/marg
4oz of flour
4oz white caster sugar
2 large eggs
As much food colouring as you like!
2 small pans (I recommend small, thin pans, mine were probably like 20cm across)

Basically you just mix the cake like you normally would, then add the food colouring, making sure it's super vibrant, as it fades a tad when cooking, then cook the cake like you normally would. The outsides, where they cook, will go a strange colour - a sort of dull, greenish version of the colour you made.. but do not despair. Layer the cakes as you want, and I used some Betty Crocker icing inbetween each layer, and then smoothed around the top & bottom (I say *I*, my mum did this bit because I can't ice cakes for shit!). And then have the time of your life cutting into it. I am going to bedoing this for all my friends now, haha.
If you opposed to such things as E numbers, i am baker also does one
coloured by natural substances like strawberries, blueberries and kiwis.. which I really want to try.
And I would highly recommend trying to find an
American food shop (I'm visiting this one later this week haha) to get white cake mix because that is a, cheating, and b, a hell of a lot easier, haha.

That concludes my food-themed-blog post, haha. Hope you had a good day, too. (:

17 comments:

  1. Wow I loved it! It must have tasted delicious!
    Happy belated birthday!
    http://lifeadventuresandthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing cake :) happy birthday :) Cool post..Sarah..0x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday!

    That is literally one of the best birthday cakes I've ever seen - very impressive indeed :)

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great birthday. That cake looks awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday! that is the most awesome cake i've ever seet!!!

    http://theveiledbump.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for your comment and happy birthday btw :D

    In relation to the whole Stripes post a couple of my (i should have said Curvy) Curvier friends stay away from stripes all together maybe they just don't have the know how but they all say it makes them look bigger. They do however have lots of other advantages in relation to what looks good, in general they fit in there clothes where as for me i sink in mine no matter what the size and stripes is the one pattern that makes me look and feel fuller like curvier women, were not all blessed with curves which is why I wrote my post to make smaller girls look fuller and I thinks stripes do that x

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy belated bday!
    i just found ur new blog!
    omg thats like the most awesome cake i hv ever seen!
    ur mum go all the way for ur bday cake!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for all the lovely comments guys! i had a great day and a great night out.. haha (: my mum really went all out, haha.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG.

    This is amazing.

    The middle picture is like something you would find on a cool little tumblr page or weheartit.com or something.

    Simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, that's an amaaaaaazing cake - lucky you!!!
    And congrats on your birthday ;-D
    Hope, you had a fantastic day!
    /xxx Nete

    http://confashionsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THATS AMAZING! Hope you had a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow your right it is an amazing cake!!!!! your mum talented!! its look like something out of a movie

    shukura

    ReplyDelete
  15. rainbow cake so nyummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. the cake was amazingggg, i'm glad you all enjoyed it! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2